Re: wierd returnings

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 02:31:55PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:

| 	Subject: Re: wierd returnings
| 	Date: Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 09:48:14AM -0400

| Quoting Mike(reznaeous@adelphia.net):
| > Ian Perry wrote:
| > > Mario,
| > >
| > > Why have you used MY SERVER inertia.com.au as your return address in your
| > > email ?
| >
| > He didn't.  I looked through the headers of his message and saw *no* mention
| > anywhere of your server's name.  I did, however, see mention of my ISP's
| > address in a few places that it shouldn't have been - namely
| >
| > From bounce-debian-user=reznaeous=adelphia.net@lists.debian.org Thu Aug 09 06:33:35 2001
| > Sender: mario <mario@mx1.cdp.adelphia.net>
| >
| > I suspect the From and the Return-Path: lines might be done by the Debian
| > listserver as a bounce detection mechanism, but I'm not sure.  The Sender:
| > line, however, is most definitely wrong.
| >
| I agree, the question is who.  His message has different headers for
| me, and they look OK????
|
| >From bounce-debian-user=wtopa=dmcom.net@lists.debian.org Thu Aug 09 09:49:30 2001
| --- NO Return-path: at all
| Sender: mario <mario@localhost>

If the sender's address has no domain, many MTAs/MDAs will add the
local domain to the address to complete it.  The mail really shouldn't
get out of the originating system without first being completed, but
it happens sometimes.  Spammers in particular like it.  The from
header with 'bounce' in it is created by the list manager so it can
keep track of bounces or something like that.

-D