Re: XDM Crash... How to recover

"Ian Perry" <iperry@inertia.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Last night I had a major panic attack with xdm (whoch starts automatically)
> I had edited the sample .xsession file and added exec fvwm95 to the end.
> It did not start due to the other settings above for twm (I am working from
> memory here)
> The login screen would appear and on login the screen would flicker and then
> I ended up booting from CD, going to a shell, mounting the hd and editting
> the .xsession file.
>
> Is there an easy way to recover from this type of fault ?

Ctrl-Alt-F2 should get you into a console where you can log in and edit
the .xsession.  Then Ctrl-Alt-F7 gets you back to your  X session.

(Try commenting out all those things which relate to twm in your
.xsession file!)

hth

Glyn

               *          Here we are then.......               *
               * http://members.tripod.co.uk/Christchurch2000uk *