XDM Crash... How to recover

Hi,

Last night I had a major panic attack with xdm (whoch starts automatically)
I had edited the sample .xsession file and added exec fvwm95 to the end.
It did not start due to the other settings above for twm (I am working from
memory here)
The login screen would appear and on login the screen would flicker and then
I ended up booting from CD, going to a shell, mounting the hd and editting
the .xsession file.

Is there an easy way to recover from this type of fault ?

Ian