Re: exim not sending mail

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 11:47:36AM -0700, patrick q wrote:

| AFAIK, I'm just an ordinary dialup user and should be sending mail to
| my telco isp, pop.mts.net, to which I connect to retrieve mail, but
| which refuses telnet connections to port 25

I would expect that a POP server would ignore SMTP connection attempts
:-).  There is probably a different name for the ISP's SMTP server,
maybe mail.mts.net or smtp.mts.net.  I would imagine that they provide
instructions for configuring Outlook and Netscape for sending mail and
you can grab the name of the server out of it.  I found with my "ISP"
I now need to use authentication (the SMTP "AUTH" command).  If I
dial-up through the school I don't need to authenticate (I'm using the
school as the smarthost).  When I (recently) got DSL I am no longer
connecting from within the school's network so I need to authenticate
(because they don't want to be a spammer's helper).

HTH,
-D