Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

Yes, but I think the point that Cringely was making is that MS could
deliberately cause the internet to become crippled with DDoS attacks
with the Windows XP. So if they've already built in a new version of
TCP/IP without telling anyone then when the internet 'crashes',
everyone using winXP could discover that they have access to a new
internet. With 100 million users Cisco would have to be pretty dumb
not to move quickly to make sure a non-crippled internet was available
otherwise who'd get the blame? Surely not Microsoft?

I hope it won't happen.

Matthew Sackman

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 10:57:22AM +0100, P Kirk wrote:
> Lets suppose that someone launches a proprietary version of the
> Interent, called MSN or AOL for the sake of example.  It will have to be paid
> for.  The free Internet will remain free. It cannot be taken away from
> us. And even if the new proprietary version were subsidised for a few
> years and thus got the majority of people used to it, when the price
> gets passed on, people will return to the free Internet.
>
> That's why I think Cringely is a little wrong on this score.  I remember
> in the mid-90s the English football clubs tried to charge for access to
> the "official team web sites."  It failed because the fans own sites
> were free, more passionate and better informed because they weren't
> filtered by Pr/marketing types.  Anyone chucking a few billion into
> replacing the free Internet will have to have a very convincing case as
> to how they can get their money back.  I can't see what that case would
> be.
>
> --
>
> Patrick "sig free and joyful"" Kirk
>
> GSM: +44 7876 560 646
> ICQ: 42219699
>

> --

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,
ENGLAND

Using Debian/GNU Linux
Enjoying computing

It said 'Required Windows XP or better.'
So I installed Linux.

----- End forwarded message -----