Re: PCMCIA in 2.4 kernels doesn't work

On Thursday,  9 August 2001, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> I don't think it's worth the trouble to try and get it to work with
> 2.4.x drivers if they work the other way anyhow.

Using the separate package with 2.4 kernels is inconvenient because
you have to compile and install two packages where one can be enough.
Recently, the separate pcmcia-source package also _stopped_ compiling
cleanly with 2.4 kernels, because of changes to the kernels aic7xxx
SCSI driver.  It takes some fiddling to get it to compile after all.

I found the solution to my problem, though.  I quote from the
documentation on pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net:

   The CardBus socket driver in the 2.4 tree is the "yenta_socket"
   driver.  In your PCMCIA startup options, this driver should be
   specified in place of the old i82365 driver.

You do this in /etc/pcmcia.conf.  Easy, really, but the Debian
pcmcia-cs documentation does not explain this anywhere.

Thanks,
Stefan