PCMCIA in 2.4 kernels doesn't work

Hi all,

I am having problems getting the PCMCIA code included in the 2.4
kernels to work.  If I compile it in as modules and then reboot to the
new kernel, I get the error message

   Starting PCMCIA services: modules/lib/modules/2.4.7/pcmcia/i82365.o: init_module: No such device
   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
   /lib/modules/2.4.7/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
   Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
    cardmgr.

If, however, I compile the separate pcmcia-source package for use with
the 2.4 kernel, everything works just fine.

I'm running testing with kernel-source-2.4.6, and pcmcia-cs and
pcmcia-source 3.1.22-0.2potato.  Does anybody know what's going on
here?

TIA,
Stefan