Re: Network; UNEX Card (RealTek8139) wont work...

Tor Arvid Lund wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Sorry to bother you all with my (apparently endless) problem...
>
> I have a UNEX ND010 network adapter, a cheap card thats supposed to be RealTek
> 8139 compatible.

Hello Tor.

Are you sure the card is not broken?

I have the exact same card (actually three of them, they're cheap;-),
which have been working for a long time.  I've tried both rtl839 and
8139too, both as comiled in and as modules without problems.

The one thing I had was when putting one of the cards in an old Digital
Celebris 590, then the card would not work using dhcp and even rebooted
the machine once when I forced some ip on it.  Putting the card in a
newer machine and the card works as it chould, and the Celebris have
been acting strange in other cases too.

> When I ping, nothing happens.

Pinging the card itself or some other on the net?

> 8139too module, someone on this group claimed it was much better.

I think this was an issue some time ago, what differed the modules, and
if I remember correctly it was not much.  In fact, I got the impression
that 3819too wasn't better at all, but someone how actually relys on
his/shes memory should comment this before you belive me...

Summary, I vould try to verify that the card is working (the hardware)
as a first step.

Best regards,
	Emil