Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

At 03:21 AM 8/9/01 -0400, William T Wilson wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Sebastiaan wrote:
>
>> Is M$ really thinking about this? That would really be the end of the
>> internet.
>
>I doubt it.  There's no real thing that Microsoft can offer that would
>make end-users *want* to use their proprietary protocol.  On the other
>hand, there are a lot of people that would really, really not want this to
>happen - like all those web and database servers running Unix.  Plus,
>Cisco controls as much of the router market as Microsoft controls the
>desktop market.  They aren't likely to just decide to start taking orders
>about how to do networking from Microsoft just because Microsoft wants
>them to.

Cisco are in BIG financial trouble, MS have LOTS of money, don't bank on Cisco stopping them.
MS could buy Cisco pretty soon (of course that would compund their anti-trust headaches, but they never seem to let that slow them down.)

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths			Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd		Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 			Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House		e-mail: john@capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600		http://www.capmon.com
Australia			ICQ No: 7933859