Re: FW: Careful. This is for information only.

This is quickly departing from the realms of topic :}

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, John Griffiths wrote:

> Cisco are in BIG financial trouble, MS have LOTS of money, don't bank
> on Cisco stopping them. MS could buy Cisco pretty soon (of course that

Cisco's not in as big of trouble as all that.  It's not as if they are
looking for someone to come bail them out, they simply aren't making any
money this year.  But then nobody is making any money this year.

Cisco's market cap is 131 *billion* dollars.  MS hasn't got that much
money.  On the other hand, Cisco has a huge, and obvious incentive to not
allow MS to gain control of a market that right now they dominate.

It's completely plausible that MS would *like* everyone to stop using
TCP/IP and start using some proprietary MS thing instead, but I see no
reason why either networking companies or end users would help them.