Re: I'm new to Debian and need advice

High,

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, David Witbrodt wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I'm in the process of backing up a decade's worth of old files I
> want to keep, burning to CD-R.  Once finished, I plan to partition and
> install 4 OS's, including Debian.
>   I have the CD from a book, "Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Unleased", but the
> kernel there is 2.0.36.  From the reading I've done, especially the
> "Large Disk HOWTO", this kernel won't work with my 40 Gb HD.  It looks
> like I'll have to make boot floppies and download the rest, or have
> someone burn a CD for me.
>
>   My first question is:  will potato work with my 40 Gb HD, or do I
> need sid or woody?
potato works fine

>   My second question is:  even if potato would work, should I get sid
> or woody anyway?  (It looks like most people are running the "testing"
> version even though it might crash more, right?  Bear with me... I'm
> new to Debian... haven't even installed it yet!)

I suggest that you use potato for a while until you are comfortable with
Linux/Debian. If something goes wrong in sid (unstable), you would not
know if a package is borken or if it is your own inconveinience. If you
need a newer package, go woody: it is near to stable now.

>   Then, the computer that I just got was a gift, and it was packaged
> with a Riptide chameleon combo card with modem and sound on the same
> card.  I've looked around and it looks like this card won't work with
> Linux, so I need to replace it.  (It's crap anyway, so I'm going to
> replace it even if it is supported now.)  So my third and fourth
> questions are:
>
> 	If you had to pick a new sound card, which would you pick?
I am using a Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Works great, good sound. I have read test where this was the card which
worked best under Linux.

> 	If you had to pick a new modem, which would you pick?
External modems does not matter much. Just go external, will always work.
Well, serial modems then.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan