Re: matrox video card upgrade (millenium to g450), what to do?

On 07 Aug 2001 19:50:43 -0500, Matthew Garman wrote:

> Now the new card is installed, and the old card is out of my system.  X no
> longer works.  I tried to use XF86Setup to setup the video card, but that
> didn't work either.  I did a little bit of search on google groups, and it
> looks like XFree 3.x doesn't support the g450---is this correct?

The G450 contains some hardware features that (AFAIK) Matrox has not
released documentation/source for. This is why XFree 3.x, and (the last
time I checked, even XFree 4) don't work directly with the G450. If you
get to XFree 4, my advice is the following:
First, try running `XFree86 --configure`. I've generally had good
success with this. You may want to try this with and without the drivers
supplied by Matrox ( http://www.matrox.com/ ). If you want 3D support,
you will also need to the DRM modules from
http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/ (the ones in current kernels are not
quite up to date).

> If I do, in fact, have to upgrade to XFree 4.x, what is the "best" way to
> do that?  Here, "best" means that it involves the least amount of
> downloading---I'm on a slow, unreliable analog modem.

I'm not sure what would be best here, but I didn't see mention of which
version of Debian (stable/potato, unstable/sid, testing/woody). This
information will probabbly help someone else help you out more here.

> So what's the best route to take here?  Is there any chance I can use this
> card with XFree 3.x?

If you're not too concerned about the speed of your display (in
particular 3D) you could try running a framebuffer (as compilable from
your kernel, linux/Documentation/fb/matroxfb.txt) and using the
framebuffer drivers/servers for whichever X version you choose to run.

> Thanks,
> Matt

Jeremy Nickurak -= gehn@email.com =-
"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't
help."
                  -- Calvin