matrox video card upgrade (millenium to g450), what to do?

Hello:

I just got a Matrox g450 AGP video card.  The new card is a replacement
for my old Matrox Millenium I (4MB RAM) PCI card.  I'm running Debian
potato with XFree 3.3.6.

Now the new card is installed, and the old card is out of my system.  X no
longer works.  I tried to use XF86Setup to setup the video card, but that
didn't work either.  I did a little bit of search on google groups, and it
looks like XFree 3.x doesn't support the g450---is this correct?

If I do, in fact, have to upgrade to XFree 4.x, what is the "best" way to
do that?  Here, "best" means that it involves the least amount of
downloading---I'm on a slow, unreliable analog modem.

So what's the best route to take here?  Is there any chance I can use this
card with XFree 3.x?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@uiuc.edu
"I'll tip my hat to the new constitution, Take a bow for the new revolution