Re: GNU Tools and KDE under solaris

* Fayard Francois (fayard@ens.fr) spake thusly:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an intern for Schlumberger.

Who is Schlumberger and do they have sysadmins there?
Because if they do, you'd better ask a sysadmin (or prepare
to be larted).

> I've already done a talk about Linux a few months ago, and a lot of people
> were interrested. I want now to compile many GNU Tools under Solaris (I can't
> install directly Linux because we have a lot of expensive software under
> Solaris), and at first under my own directory.

First of all, Solaris 8 comes with a bunch of GNU tools.

Secondly, many GNU tools are available in native Solaris pkg
format (from e.g. sunfreeware or ibiblio). If they aren't in
/usr/local/bin already, maybe your sysadmin didn't install them
for a reason.

Thirdly, software that comes with ./configure script usually
compiles on Solaris out of the box.

Finally, most software comes with README, INSTALL etc. files
that contain detailed explanations of how to compile and install
it, including platform-specific instructions (if any). But then,
you knew that, right?

> I would like to know if anyone has ever done that, and if you can give me
> some links to web pages.

http://www.google.com

Dima
--