Re: Xfree86 4.1.0, Matrox G450 & framebuffer?

> This looks like the same problem that is reported with ati cards and xfree
> 4.1.
> Check the bug against xserver-xfree86.
> You can use 'consolechars -d' to restore your console.

Just looked at it. I suppose the bugs are related, but not the
same. In my case when I attempt to switch back to a console, my
monitor complains about syncing and shows nothing, not even garbled
stuff.

In kernel-source-2.4.7/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt I found the following:

X11
===

XF68_FBDev should work just fine, but it is non-accelerated.  Running
another (accelerated) X-Server like XF86_SVGA might or might not work.
It depends on X-Server and graphics board.

The X-Server must restore the video mode correctly, else you end up
with a broken console (and vesafb cannot do anything about this).

I guess that's what needs to be worked on ...

regards,
Volker

--
I had no shoes and I pitied myself.  Then I met a man who had no feet,
so I took his shoes.