Secondary controller install problems

I'm trying to install Debian 2.2r3...my primary HD is occupied by (ugh)
Win2K, and I want to install onto my secondary drive, an 80 GB Maxtor.
Since the built-in controller on my motherboard is only ATA/66 and the
drive is ATA/100, I bought
an ATA/100 controller card, and the large drive is now connected to that.

Needless to say, the Debian install program doesn't see the secondary
hard drive.  I'm presuming that this is because the 2.2.x kernel on the
ISO doesn't include a driver for the controller card.

Any recommendations as to what I can do here?  Obviously unplugging the
first drive and hooking the secondary up to the on-board controller isn't
an option, because AFAIK the on-board controller won't address such a
large drive.  Is there an easy way to compile my own kernel (I have
access to another Linux box) and build my own boot disk to supplement the
CD-ROM?  Or am I just screwed?

Thanks in advance,

-Eric Shamow