Re: ATA 100 module

On 06 Aug 2001 14:45:10 +0200, Dr. Joerg Hettwer wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I tried to install debian potato on my new A7V133.
> My Harddisk is connected to the Promise ATA 100 and should be /dev/hde.
> The drivers that came with the board belong to Red Hat, and "potato"
> doesn't reckognize the Harddisk - instead it is asking for a module for
> the Promise Controller.  Does anybody know where I can find them?
> Thanks Joerg
>

> --

Hi,

I just installed a promise utlra 100 TX2 last week on my system. Had a
but of trouble as I wanted the first port on the off board
controller(ide2) to hold the boot disk (/dev/hde). With patience I got
it all working now with udma enabled :-)

I couldn't get the PDC202XX module working in 2.4.6 as my controller has
the PDC20268 chipset (check the chip on your controller). Problem solved
by the IDE patch from linux-ide.
Here the steps I followed.

- Leave the boot disk on ide0 for the following steps (not like I did!!)
but install the card.
- Grab the patch that matches your kernel source from:
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/
- Patch the kernel, compile and install with PDC202XX support (now
recognises PDC20268)
- Before you reboot take not of the the i/o ports the card is using:

  cat /proc/pci

  For my card gave the following output for the promise card:

  Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
  Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20268.
      IRQ 10.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=18.
      I/O at 0xb400 [0xb407].
      I/O at 0xb800 [0xb803].
      I/O at 0xbc00 [0xbc07].
      I/O at 0xc000 [0xc003].
      I/O at 0xc400 [0xc40f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf3000000 [0xf3003fff].

  I needed this as my kernel didn't seem to auto detect the new ide
channels. To recognise them you will need to pass the following
arguments to your boot loader of choice.

	ide2=a, b+2 ide3=c, d+2

In my case ide2=0xb400,0xb802 ide3=0xbc00,0xc002

- Reboot and check the boot messages if all worked fine change
/etc/fstab to the new drive. Add the append line if using lilo so you
don't have to type it in every time. Reboot and move the main drive over
to the new controller.

Hope that helps

Cheers,
Nic