Re: Cable Modem on Linux

At 03:16 PM 8/6/01 -0700, Andrew Agno wrote:
>JakeCatfox@aol.com writes:
> > Is it possible to just hook up all my machines to the hub provided by the
> > cable modem provider, then install a Firewall program on each one? Or do I
> > have to get a cable router or something?
>
>If they all have IP addresses (for the internet), you're okay.
>Otherwise, you need to get a cable router, or use one of your
>computers as a gateway/firewall.

Actually he can do this as long as he deignates one machine as gateway, and ity'll have to do the pppoe

the problem is that all his machines will be braodcasting packets to his whole subnet (hope he encrypts everything) and the whole subnet will be able to broadcast to all his machines (hope they're locked up tight)