kernel 2.4 mouse problems

Hi, a few days ago I installed kernel 2.4 on debian potato. For somereason, when i started X my mouse did not work. I can still boot up the 2.2 kernel and the mouse works fine. Another thing is that when I boot up kernel 2.4 and I log in, If I move the mouse then my keyboard stops working as well. I have the same options in both kernels for the mouse and keyboard, so the only thing I can think of is the /dev for the mouse might be different but I don't know. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks