Re: A good list of what Debian installs and what it doesn't

on Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 06:31:24AM -0700, Neil Gibbs (dblack777@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hey all, a Newbie here.  Love Debian, but I noticed some things were
> not installed by default using the "simple" package install.  On
> debian.org, some mention is made of this fact, but no detailed list of
> what is and isn't.  For instance, telnetd and ftpd were nonexistent
> after install (I know, I know, I'm trying to install SSH as we speak).
> Anyone know of a good place to find a list of what Potato leaves out?

"Left out" is a highly qualitative term.  Experienced users will tend to
view this as a feature, not a bug.

My preferred MO is to install a very minimal -- just base -- system,
then add additional packages as you find you need them.

Advantages:

  - You don't have a lot of unexpected (and unnecessary) cruft on your
    system.  This creates overhead in updating, maintenance, and
    security (you can't compromise what isn't there).

  - You *know* what you've got on your system.

  - You become very familiar with the Debian package management tools ;-)
    This is an underappreciated fact.  The hard parts of a Debian
    install, for newbies, are the parts involving package selection and
    management.  With time, you're using these tools on a frequent
    basis, and become familiar with them.  Subesequent installs (almost
    always on different systems -- Debian is the distro you install
    once[1]) go far easier.

Cheers.

Notes:

1.  Actually, if you're like me, three times, for the first system you
    install on.  Once to see what it does.  Twice to get it the way you
    want.  A third time to fix the errors you made in the second
    attempt.  I use this approach to _most_ new SW tools.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>            http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?               There is no K5 cabal