Re: How to remove non-deb package software?

source that follows the gnu standard will be able to clean up it's own build
directories with a

make clean

invocation. and it should also have an uninstall facility. use

make uninstall

to get rid of the installed bin, man, data, libraries, etc.

if you have already removed the source code directories, restore the source
by untar'ing the files. do almost a normal install, i.e.,

(autoconf)
configure [ --prefix=prefix ][--exec-prefix=exec-prefix]
make uninstall

where autoconf may not have been required (varies from package to package,
but not normally required). when doing configure, make sure you use the
configuration parameters as when you originally installed the software, with
particular note to the --prefix and --exec-prefix options. typical defaults
are /usr/local for both. then run make uninstall.

all the usual caveats apply here. in particular, if the original installation
was an upgrade to a pre-existing package, the uninstall of the upgrade will
**not** restore the original package. if the original package is a system
dependent package, your system may become unstable and/or unusable. it
follows that the original package will need to be reinstalled.

On Sunday 05 August 2001 12:44, Lance Peterson pronounced: