not enough partitions

Hi. I have a hard drive with ext2 (primary), swap (logical), and NTFS
(primary) partitions. It's a large drive with a lot of unused space. I want
to carve up the remaining space into several partititions, but cfdisk only
offers to make one last primary partition, then there are no more partitions
available.

Why can't I make the fourth partition an extended partition and put as many
logical partitions there as I want?

Should the NTFS partition have been created as a logical partition rather
than as a primary? I don't want to delete that partition and reinstall
Windows. Can I convert it into a logical partition without destroying it?

Thanks,

Robin