RE: Long route delay after PPP connection

On 01-Aug-01 James Preston wrote:
>     This is almost certainly not a specific Debian problem, but my
>     potato installation always exhibits a strange pause in updating
>     routing information after dial-up.
>
> After successful handshake and allocation of an IP and and nameserver
> entries (from the log), there is 10 - 20 second delay before route(1)
> will show *any* entries: it just shows the "Destination Gateway ..."
> header hangs/block.  Very strange.

I've had the same problem with ppp, though in my case it's been
taking longer, so I was waiting to see possible replies to your
message (none that I've noticed so far). And, by the way, there's
repeated little bursts of disk activity during this delay (every
3-4 seconds).

Anyway, I've just solved it, and the same may work for you.

For other reasons, I had occasion to look in /var/log/messages
and, in the messages generated during dialup, noticed a whole slew
of entries along the lines of

Aug  5 13:26:40 tedistan pppd[24408]: rcvd [IPXCP ConfRej id=0x1
  <node 0000d77d107b> <router proto 2>]
Aug  5 13:26:40 tedistan pppd[24408]: rcvd [IPXCP ConfReq id=0x2
Aug  5 13:26:40 tedistan pppd[24408]: sent [IPXCP ConfAck id=0x2
Aug  5 13:26:43 tedistan pppd[24408]: sent [IPXCP ConfReq id=0x1

repeated many times during this delay period. Clearly something
associated with IPXCP wasn't right.

So I looked at 'man pppd' and searched for IPXCP. There's an option
-ipx-protocol which turns off IPXCP. So I changed the contents of

  /etc/ppp/options

from

  defaultroute

  defaultroute -ipx-protocol

and now, lo and behold, no delay! (and all those entries in
/var/log/messages are not appearing any more).

Good luck,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972