Re: Linux in the workplace: NT Domains

William Leese wrote:

<snip>

Again, I'm asking help. With SAMBA how do I:

Login to the domain (pdc)

I haven't figured that out yet, but it'd be great to know, so that I could image a computer lab of 19 machines to be dual-bootable, so some of the students could get some exposure to Linux. (I'm also at a Helpdesk, in a University setting.)

View computers logged into the domain

"apt-get install smbclient"

edit /etc/samba/smb.conf so that "workgroup=" is set to your NT domain name.

restart samba with "/etc/init.d/samba restart"

mount shares with commands such as:
"smbmount //windowscomputername/sharename /somemountpoint -o username=yourNTDomainUserName"

(The "-o" and following is optional if you're logged into Linux with the same username as your NT domain username.)

Browse and manipulate shares (in Konqueror?)

I don't know of a way to do this directly in Konqueror; once you've smbmount'ed the shares, you'll just see them in K. as normal directories. I've played with a couple of GUI tools for mounting Win shares, but they were kind of "iffy"; I'm not sure of the names now, but maybe "tkChooser" was one, which can also mount Macintosh shares (assuming you have the necessary support built into your box).

Cheers,

William Leese

Kent