Re: GEFORCE 2 MX and LINUX

It is my understanding that DRI support in the kernel is not needed, because
the nvidia driver does its own thing with DRI. Nvidia's website should have
details.

If you only want a good-quality X setup, simply install the latest version of
XFree86 (currently 4.1.0). The 'nv' driver which comes with it should meet your
needs (it is available in the entire 4.x line, as well as (I think) the later
3.x series. Check the Xfree86 website for exact information).

If you want to enable 3D acceleration, you will need NVidia's drivers, which
are available in the nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src Debian packages
(although you must be running testing or unstable). The documentation which
comes with those packages will explain how to install them, and by following
them, a 3D-accelerated X system can be set up with very little trouble.

As a final note, any recent Linux distribution will contain NVidia support
in at least the form of the unaccelerated driver, so this is most emphatically
not a reason to chose one distribution over another.