Re: 2.4 kernel on woody install

> I'm wondering how I might go about getting a 2.4 kernel right up front
> when I'm installing a woody system.  I need it for the network driver
> it provides that doesn't work with 2.2.  Is there a way to tweak the
> CD somehow (debian-cd is how I make woody boot CD's) so it would load
> a 2.4 kernel instead?  I could just build a custom kernel that would
> support most of my hardware so I wouldn't need to worry about drivers.

I didn't figure out an easy way to do this.  But I did figure out a
hard way :) !  I installed the system off the first woody CD, which
put a 2.2.19 kernel onto the system.  The network card doesn't work.

Luckily, the first CD (as created with debian-cd) contains all the
necessary packages (kernel-package, gcc, bin86, etc.) and sources
(kernel-source-2.4.4) to build a 2.4 kernel, which does have my
network card.

Build, reboot, tweak the network settings a bit (since the boot
configurator didn't ask me about the network stuff) and I'm good to go.

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley         930 Koyukuk Drive
System / Network Manager        University of Alaska Fairbanks

phone: 907-474-2689             fax: 907-474-2643
email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu    GNUPG and PGP2 keys at my web site
  web: http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle