Re: Root on RAID

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Alvin Oga wrote:

> to do "root raid".. you need to use the "raid" partition type
> and NOT ext2 ....

Yes, I'm clear abou this, my raid patritions are type FD, "Linux
Raid Autodetect".

> you might want root raid5...so that if one disk dies...that you can
> still boot off of the remaining disks
>
> you might want to just do root raid1...so that if one disk dies...
> you can still boot off the "mirror"
> 	- lot easier to install/configure than root raid5

Er... Hmmm.. (quick clearing of throat and wiping egg off face...)

RAID levels:

device    mountpoint   level
------    ----------   -----
/dev/md2    /boot      RAID1

/dev/md0   / (root)    RAID5

The system is booting from RAID1 (/boot).  I didn't know you could
actually boot from RAID5.

I will have a look at the URL you specified.

Thanks.

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, George Karaolides wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install a system with root fs on RAID.
> >
> > I have done this successfully on Turbolinux 6.1 before, but don't seem to
> > be able to get it to work under Turbolinux.
> >
> > Procedure followed (based on the Boot+Root+Raid+Lilo-HOWTO):
> >
> > - Get and install kernel version 2.2.19 source code (Debian package)
> > - Patch with appropriate patch from kernel.org (I found out later that
> > a Debian package of a raid patch is available in the testing
> > distribution).
> > - Make and install a kernel image using make-kpkg.
> > - Boot with new RAID-aware kernel
> > - Make RAID arrays with disk on which current installation resides as
> > "failed-disk"
> > - mke2fs on arrays
> > - Mount arrays under /mnt/raid with the same hierarchy as they will be
> > mounted in the root-on-RAID system
> > - Copy filesystems to arrays:
> >   prompt# tar cf - -C / bin | tar xvf - -C /mnt/raid
> >   # tar cf - -C / dev | tar xvf - -C /mnt/raid
> >   mkdir /mnt/raid/proc
> >   etc etc
> > - Edit /mnt/root/etc/lilo.conf
> > - run lilo to install an MBR on one (and later more than one) disks in the
> > array:
> >   prompt# chroot /mnt/raid lilo
> > - Edit /mnt/raid/etc/fstab to reflect root-RAID system fs structure
> > - Reboot.
> >
> > This procedure has been completely successful on Turbolinux 6.1, but on
> > Debian 2.2r3 (potato) I have been unable to boot.
> >
> > lilo reports successful installation, but on reboot lilo reaches the
> > error state LI which, according to the LILO doc, indicates a geometry
> > mismatch.
> >
> > Contents of /mnt/root/etc/lilo.conf follow.  This was done according to
> > the above HOWTO.
> >
> > /dev/md0 contains the /boot filesystem.
> > /dev/md2 contains the / (root) filesystem.
> >
> > # Begin lilo.conf
> >
> > disk=/dev/md2
> > bios=0x80
> > cylinders=8761
> > heads=64
> > sectors=32
> > partition=/dev/md0
> > start=32
> >
> > map=/boot/map
> > install=/boot/boot.b
> > lba32
> > prompt
> > root=/dev/md2
> > default=linux
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz
> >         label=linux
> >         read-only
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz.old
> >         label=linux-old
> >         read-only
> >
> > # End lilo.conf
> >
> > Help would be greatly appreciated...
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > George Karaolides

George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,
tel:   +35 79 68 08 86                   Strovolos,
email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,
web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus