Re: Deb-Newby: Read HOWTO's?

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 08:59:21PM -0500, d wrote:
> LURKER here again, what is used to read the HOWTO files?  All of the ones I
> have on my system are ******.gz, I know that means compressed.  What to use
> to uncompress?  When I used to work on UNIX systems you used a command
> called "compress" with different switches to do that or to uncompress.

I like to use lynx to read the stuff in /usr/share/doc/*. It handles
gzip textfiles just fine and makes it easy to navigate between files.
If there is HTML documentation you can follow the hyperlinks. BTW, if
you install the doc-linux-html package you get the HOWTOs in hypertext.

HTH
dave t.

--
Dave Thayer           | If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about
Denver, Colorado USA  | cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all