Re: Why automatic tools can change /etc/resolv.conf?

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 05:38:58PM +0200, Sebastiaan wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Michele Dalla Silvestra wrote:
> > If is not possible to put dnrd in any installation, why not modify a file
> > like resolv.conf in /var/somewhat and make a symlink in /etc/resolv.conf? If
> > an administrator want to make him change in /etc/resolv.conf and be sure
> > that a program not modify it, he remove the symlink and create his
> > resolv.conf.
> >
> Be sure you do not have the option 'usepeerdns' enabled in pppd options.

Yes, in fact I know that pppd (if I use 'usepeerdns') change
/etc/resolv.conf, but also dhcp-client change it, and I don't know if other
packages do so.

But is correct that an application change /etc/resolv.conf even if the
administrator write it entirely by hand?

How can I prevent it?

ciao

Michele