PCMCIA Ethernet card in 2.4.6 kernel

I recently installed Potato (2.2r2) on my laptop, re-pointed my
apt-sources to the 'testing' branch, and did an apt-get dist-upgrade.
Everything worked 100% perfectly (after some tweaking to get X running,
that is :).

ANYway, there were a few features I needed that weren't compiled into
the stock kernel (like APM and such), so I decided to download the
latest kernel source in Woody's tree (2.4.6) and compile it. Everything
seems to work now except my ethernet card. I did compile in all of the
PCMCIA stuff as modules, as I don't know which driver I should use. My
card is an Intel EtherExpress PRO 10/100 PCMCIA card. I really don't
know what to do next. I did look at the Debian install manual, and even
tried to download the  pcmcia-source package (although it looks like
these directions were meant exclusively for the 2.2 series kernels), and
the make-kpkg modules_image failed. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to
modprobe a module (no modules are running under the 2.4.6 kernel I
compiled)? If so, which one?

Thanks.

--Aaron Traas