Re: nVidia users help needed

> Question: I have a RIVATNT2 card with 32Megs RAM, and I tried for the
> first time to use 3d graphics acceleration.
>
> It sort of works, but:
>
> a) I got this thick yellow (with black stripes) vertical line that
> appears in the bottom right hand of the screen.

That's odd... I don't recognize these symptoms (I have a GeForce myself),
so I can't really say what the problem is there, or what to do about it.

> b) GL xscreensavers all seg-fault when run full screen (but work fine
> when run in a Window.

I have the same problem. Here's a quote from the xscreensaver FAQ:

---snip---
Try editing your .xscreensaver file and changing the memoryLimit setting to 0.

Version 3.33 introduced the memoryLimit option as a precautionary
limit to prevent runaway memory use if one of the display modes
happened to be buggy; it prevents any program launched by xscreensaver
from allocating more than that much memory. It defaults to 50M, which
is a lot.

However, apparently certain OpenGL libraries (notably nVidia) do
something strange that makes them appear to allocate more than 128M of
memory for every OpenGL program! Consequently, those programs die on
startup because they aren't able to allocate memory.

Turning off the memory limit should work around this.
---pins---

And from the Debain bug database:

---snip---
I can reproduce this here, but only when using nVidia's GLX
libraries. Unfortunately, nVidia can't play nice with everyone else
who's writing GLX implementations for Linux. So, if you really want
things to work, you'll either have to convince nVidia to do something
right, or download the source and compile your own. Sorry.
---pins---

Sigh... The joys of closed-source drivers...

Thanks for asking, though, you got me to get off my butt and find a
workaround.

> I tried disabling AGP, but that didn't seem to help. I reverted back
> to the nv driver, but the same problems still occurred (except now the
> cursor was also corrupt), and the only way I could fix this was by
> rebooting the computer.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> (oh, one more thing, what is device-3dfx? Do I need that? What does it
> do?)

I don't recognize the name, but I'll bet anything that has something to do
with 3Dfx video cards (Voodoo and its successors), in which case you certainly
don't need it unless you have a 3Dfx card installed. Where did you see that?

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu