Re: nVidia users help needed

>  I am new to Debian and relatively new to Linux and ask your help with this
> God forsaken nVidia card.
> I initially installed 2.2r0 and upgraded the system to 2.2r3 followed by a
> dist-upgrade to Woody (for Xfree4.0.3). When I enter the command xf86cfg the
> command is unrecognized. I have never been able to get even a frame buffered
> support for this card and subsequently no X! I have tried all that I know of
> to do with the dist-upgrades for a more current set-up but all has failed. I
> also did a simple package selection which seemingly does not install kernl
> headers or source as /usr/src/linux does not contain these items unless
> Debian stores them elsewhere. I was going to try and compile the Nvidia-src
> files I found on one of the Debian FTP sites that I read of in the archives,
> but no kernel-src-headers.

If you want kernel source or headers, you want the kernel-source-vvv
or kernel-headers-vvv packages, where vvv is the version number of the
kernel you're compiling against. Personally, I recommend springing for
the full source distribution, and using make-kpkg (in the
kernel-package package) to compile the kernel and/or modules.

In addition, you probably want the nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src
packages. The documentation for those packages (in /usr/doc/package-name)
should explain how to install them. You do need to be running unstable or
testing, though.

I haven't been able to find a good program to to auto-configure Xfree4
(XF86Setup and its ilk seem to have disappeared), but you can perform the
necessary configuration with a little bit of trial and error by editing
/etc/X11/XF86Config by hand- the format is really not that difficult. You
can run 'dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86', which performs some of
XF86Setup's functions, and which will generate a starting XF86Config.

The documentation for nvidia-glx-src will describe the changes you will
need to make to XF86Config (in particular, "Driver" needs to be set to
"nvidia," rather than "nv".

Hope that helps.

--
Geoffrey M. Romer