Re: why procmail?

on Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 01:22:44AM -0400, Alan Shutko (ats@acm.org) wrote:
> John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Jeff Maxson wrote:
>
> >>relative newbie question: If I use pine (or any other filter-capable
> >>mail reader) why use procmail to filter the messages?  Pine does that on
> >>its own, if you tell it too...just wondering the benefits....
> >
> > None now.  Filtering in pine is a recent addition, so some of us use
> > procmail by inertia.
>
> Procmail is also probably more powerful than Pine's filtering, since
> procmail can run arbitrary commands.  If you want to filter out
> WINMAIL.DAT, or autorespond to Sircam, you can do it with procmail,
> but probably not Pine.  (Well, maybe you can... I don't know what its
> filtering is like.)

Additionally, procmail is independent of pine.  In the Unix tradition
(do one thing, do it well), using procmail modularizes your mail
handling:

  - Receive (exim, fetchmail, etc.).
  - Filter (procmail)
  - Read/compose (pine, mutt, etc.)
  - Send (exim, qmail, postfix, sendmail, etc.)

If you don't like procmail (and it can get ugly), there are
alternatives.  If you decide to switch mailers, you can take your rules
with you.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal