Re: dhcp & ip addresses

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 10:02:49AM +0800, Eric Boo wrote:
> Question: How are these ip address stored, if they are (under pump
> espcially), and how do I force pump to get another different ip if
> needed?
>
> Also, I can't seem to use pump on the command line after releasing it
> with pump -r. pump -R -i eth0 and simply "pump" both gave operation
> failed. Maybe I should go back to dhcpcd. Or is there an alternative?
> How's dh-client?

Try to see if the pump process is still alive.  IIRC, if you start
pump the first time, it will fork and run in the background.  You can
communicate with the running pump by starting anothter pump process, that
will use a local socket to talk to the background pump.  Sometimes the
background pump becomes unresponsive, I've found, and you need to kill
it and restart pump.  YMMV.

It is also possible that you setup firewalling rules and that somehow
these interact badly with pump.  You can debug this easily by prepending a
rule to the input and output chain that logs any packets on any interface
and has no jump target.  Then start pump and watch the syslog.  Remember
to remove the logging rules when you have captured enough pump packets,
or else it will make your logfiles explode.

Cheers,

Joost