Re: X Server + Root Access

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001 JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:

>How can I make it so that I can run the X Server using another user account?

If you're talking about logging in as user, then running an X client as
root, all you have to do is (in an xterm)

$xhost +localhost
$su -
<password>
#X_client_you_want_to_run_as_root &

If you're asking how to run X as a user because it won't let you, you need
to reconfigure xserver-common.

#dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common

I'd suggest Console Users Only as a pretty good standard answer if you
don't know any better.

If you can run it as user A and you want to be able to run it as user B,
unless user A is a sudoer (which you're back to the second case), there is
no reason on Earth that user B can't run X under the same circumstances as
A already.

--
<a mailto:galt@inconnu.isu.edu>Who is John Galt?</a>

	-- Ferenc Mantfeld