Re: Fwd: Your site listed

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 04:39:32PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> You think this is bad? I'm getting a message every 2 days or so with a
> 200K+ attachment in base 64 (which I can't read). It says something
> like:
>
> 	"Hi. How are you? I'm sending this file for your comments.
> 	Thanks.
> 	See you later."
>
> And he does - about 6 times now. It's always from a different address so
> I can't filter it in any way.

 * rofl *

It's another windows virus.  It was in all the regular news media here
in the christmas islands.  The virus writers have come up with another
brilliant and twisted for of automated social engineering.  To convince
new victims that this is not yet another attachment virus, it also
sends along a random personal document from the current vector host.

Another innovation is to scan not only the windows address book, but
also the web pages that were visited by the host and remain still in the
browser's cache.  That probably explains why you got the mails with the
so very peculiar personal touch.

On a sidenote, I bet that there's lots of mailinglists that had personal
files posted.  Some of these mailing lists are archived automatically.
It already appeared to me that anyone can readily download many popular
windows virusses from mailing list archive websites.  Or google's cache.

Interesting times they are.

Cheers,

Joost