Re: Free x-server for windows 9x, ideas?

on Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 05:27:11PM -0700, nico de haer (nicodehaer@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a nice X server to run on my windoze box, as my server does
> not have a monitor anymore....
> I found "MicroImages X Server" but it's old and i don't like it that
> much....
>
> Requirements:
> 1) Plays nice with Debian Linux (potato)
> 2) Freeware, nag-free shareware, GPL?

1:  Start a new thread, don't reply to an existing one, when starting a
    new topic.

2:  Not that I'm aware of (though the XF86 port may be an option).

Free servers:  Mi/X is the only one I'm aware of.  It's IMO
unsatisfactory for any serious, and most humerous, work.

XWin32 has a low-cost (~US$100/seat) X server.  It is reasonably full
featured.

Exceed and WRQ are the grand-dames of Win-centric X servers.  A seat
license is ~US$300+.  Full-featured, mostly works.  Some keybinding
issues (also effect XWin32).

A non-X server option is VNC (virtual network computer), which parks the
entire X session on the remote box, and just ports the display to your
workstation.  It's less responsive than an equivalent X session, but
preserves all state on the remote host, and allows moving the session
(or sharing it) among workstations.

Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>      http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?         There is no K5 cabal