Re: How long from release to unstable?

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 09:10:34AM -0700, Jeremy Whetzel wrote:
> I'm just wondering how long it generally takes
> something like the next version of X to make it's way
> into the unstable branch of Debian?  I'm looking

It very much depends on the package.  X is enormous, and there are many
individual Debian packages built from the Xfree86 source.  It often
takes a good while for them to be of acceptable quality.  On the other
hand, it shouldn't take too long for a new release of a Window Maker doc
app to make it in to unstable.

The time it takes also depends very much on how significant the changes
are between versions of the upstream code.  If it's only bugfixes, with
no change in functionality or the build process, then it shouldn't take
long, but if it's a major rewrite then it will take a good while, most
likely.

So basically, it's impossible to say.  Branden works full time on
Debian, so he is able to devote a lot of effort to the X packages.  But
still, it could take a lot of work to get them ready to go.

noah