Re: GUI/Wmaker system shutdown app?

on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 10:00:13PM +0100, Wayne (wayne@chilledout.worldonline.co.uk) wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 10:19:53AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I've set up a GNU/Linux system for my folks to use and am dissatisfied
> > with one aspect of it:  there's no good, simple way I'm aware of to shut
> > down the system from the window manager of choice (WindowMaker).
> >
> > I've granted access w/o password, via sudo, to 'shutdown -h now'.  It
> > would be possible to create a menu item with this command, but it would
> > not have a confirmation, which IMO should exist.
> >
> > Requirements/preferences:
> >
> >   - GUI-accessed method.  Preferably something I can place on the WMaker
> >     Dock or Clip.
> >
> >   - Confirmation screen.  I'd like a "Yes/No" confirmation dialog to
> >     appear.
> >
> > ...that's pretty much it.  GNOME has a log-out option to shut down,
> > which would be appropriate, but IMO GNOME isn't suitably user-friendly.
> >
> > KDE _would_ be a great desktop, but it isn't currently available in
> > Debian/Stable.  I'm likely headed in this direction though long-term.  I
> > do think that WMaker plus GMC (for desktop icons for storage & a file
> > browser) is a pretty good, simple, desktop.
> >
> > --
> > Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
> >  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?       There is no K5 cabal
> >   http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/         http://www.kuro5hin.org
> >    Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!
>
> Hi,
>
> I use Wmaker as my prefered desktop.  What I use to get a graphical
> login and exit screen is 'wdm'. Highly configurable, initially the
> screen is just grey but you can set any pixmap you like as the
> background for login, along with a whole host of other settings.
>
> From this login panel, you can select shutdown but first you will have
> to make the necessary changes to the config file if you want non root
> users to be able to shutdown the system.  With this setup, you will get
> the option under windowmanagers to Exit or Exit session.  The
> documentation with it explains it well.

First:  set your line wrap.

I'm aware that wdm can be used to log off the system, but this requires
a two-step process:

  - Exit the existing WMaker session.

  - Log off via wdm (providing yet another password).  Even if the user
    is permitted to log off the system (rather than restricting logoffs
    to root), the password needs to be entered, *after* exiting the
    windowmanager.  As an alternative method, this is acceptable, but
    not as the *only* method.

For my parents, this is excessive loop-jumping.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!