Link between newsgroup linux.debian.user and the debian user mailing list ?

Hi.

I want to know it there is any link between the linux.debian.user newsgroup
and the debian user mailing list. It seems to be the same messages on both.
Am I right or do some people cross post in both ?

I ask this stupid question because I discovered Debian, the usenet groups and
this mailing list at the same time, and, because of the amount of messages,
can I unsubscribe the list without loosing contact ?

Congratulations to all debian maintainers, developers, coordinators, etc ...
Debian is simply the best distro I've ever seen (after testing 6 distribs, I
switched to debian). Bravo guys !

--
Yves Dessertine
yves.d@hrnet.fr