kernel 2.2.19 and af_packet

I've been having some trouble with kernel 2.2.19-6. Since upgrading,
I can't get any dhcp clients to work. For example, when dhclient tries to
do a socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_PACKET, 768), it gets a EAFNOSUPPORT - address
family not supported by protocol. (Admittedly, socket's manpage seems to
tell you not to do that.)

It may be relevant that when I have af_packet as a module, modprobing it
gives "unresolved symbol sk_run_filter". Building into the kernel itself
halts any complaints, but doesn't actually seem to help. To take dhclient
again, it was suggesting that CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER weren't =y
when they were.

Any suggestions? My machine's off-line right now. ):

Thanks,
        Mark