Re: CD-RW Question...

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:12:57 -0400
Aaron Traas <adt6247@njit.edu> wrote:

> I have a question... Could someone please recommend a reliable IDE/ATAPI
> CD-RW that works out-of-the-box with Debian? Like, something I could
> just plug in and start burning. Also, I'd like one that isn't too picky
> about different brands of media. The Ricoh in my Win98 box isn't that
> reliable, and doesn't like Memorex and other common brands of CD-R
> blanks.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I had a Philips CDRW800 and found that it would only burn a CD one time in
around 8. Most annoying. I kept getting error messages to do with power
calibration.

I sold this drive and decided to go with a genuine SCSI CDRW - a suitable
SCSI card costs very little, I have the Iwill SIDE-2930C which is fully
supported by Linux. I bought a Yamaha 2100S, a 16x10x40 SCSI drive. I know
you asked about IDE drives, but SCSI is certainly worth thinking about -
you will find it altogether more reliable. I have a scanner and the CDRW
plugged into my SCSI card.

Initially, I found that I could only burn one CD, then all I got with
subsequent burns was a loud, continuous static-like noise, unless I
rebooted. I discovered that the drive didn't like cdrecord under Linux,
but preferred cdrdao. Using cdrdao I now have a 100% reliable CDRW which
writes to absolutely *anything*! I have tried the cheapest CDR disks I
could find and still get good results. I use Gtoaster as the GUI front-end
to cdrdao and grip as a ripper to ensure that when I record an audio CD I
get a perfect copy.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Progeny Debian Linux