RE: CD-RW Question...

On 25-Jul-01 Aaron Traas wrote:
> I have a question... Could someone please recommend a reliable
> IDE/ATAPI CD-RW that works out-of-the-box with Debian? Like, something
> I could just plug in and start burning. Also, I'd like one that isn't
> too picky about different brands of media. The Ricoh in my Win98 box
> isn't that reliable, and doesn't like Memorex and other common brands
> of CD-R blanks.

I installed a RICOH first time round, and wasn't too happy with it
(principally because it was quite unreliable about detecting the CD
for reading -- about 2 failures in 5 -- but it also didn't properly
locate the start of the CD when writing).

As a result, the shop changed it for an LG CED-8989B which seems
to work perfectly well in both directions.

Hope this helps,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972