Re: preventing windows from screwing linux up

> > How can I prevent this (other than by deinstalling windows! - my wife
> > needs to use our laptop occasionally)
>
> Even wives can use GNU/Linux. At least my wife can.

hi  :)
My wife can but she'd rather not - she already has to cope with using
a Mac at work!

> Are you sure Windows did not just overwrite the MBR with Lilo in it? In this
> case you just have to boot with a boot floppy and put Lilo back there.
>
> (I'm not subscribed to the list any more.)

thanks for the suggestion, but I managed to find the cause, see my long
followup on this matter. http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-0107/msg04528.html

To summarise:
The MBR was still intact but my filesystem wasnt, all my linux partitions
were in an extended partition and the partition table of the extended
partition got trashed because the windows installation thought that it's
partition was bigger than it should have been.

So the MBR and LILO were still able to find my installed kernel (which
must obviously have been on part of the disk that wasnt overweritten) but
the extended partition table was junk and the root filesystem couldnt
be found....

A big Debian reinstall was the solution...