*Could someone please post this to linux.debian.user and linux.dev.debian newsgroups*

*Could someone please post this to linux.debian.user and linux.dev.debian
newsgroups - my news server is not working atm - exclude this part :-)*

Hi , does anyone know how I can using ip aliasing with the
/etc/network/interfaces (debian method). I could easily add another startup
script with ifconfigs and routes, but that would be messy and uncalled for
and I'm sure someone must have done it before and got it right. Nomatter
what I've tried neither my pcmcia eth0 device is configured, (although the
module for it loads fine) nor are any of the aliases configured. I've tried
the following lines :

auto lo eth0 eth0:1 eth0:2            // Didn't work
auto lo eth0                                // Didn't work

Also I tried changing the order of execution for the networking script, but
to no avail : i.e. # mv /etc/rc2.d/S40networking /etc/rc2.d/S99networking
and  # mv /etc/rc2.d/S40networking /etc/rc2.d/S04networking

I've attached my /etc/network/interfaces if anyone wants to take a look, and
feel free to ask me to post any more files. They're all pretty small i.e.
<10k

PS : Bg info on my system : Running Woody Testing / 2.4.7 kernel / xirc_2pcs
driver for pcmcia NIC. Sony VAIO laptop (don't think that'll be of much use
though :-) )

Thanks
George