Re: laptop and linux: any dangers?

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 01:06:22AM +0200, bounce-debian-user=frodo=morgul.net@lists.debian.org wrote:

Please fix your mailer.  You aren't setting any kind of sane return
address.

> I plan to purchase a notebook that shall run debian GNU/Linux. My
> question: do I have to take care on special features? I do not expect to
> get all running, but I require X-Window and Ethernet to run on my Linux
> box, perhaps sound. Any comments basing on your experiences? What
> products/single compnents to avoid???

Check out the debian-laptop list.  It's inhabited by some clueful folks.
I'm running sid on a Sony VAIO laptop and I love it.  Pretty much
everything works: USB, IR (though I don't use it), all the APM stuff, X,
sound (via ALSA).  Apparently even the little scrolly wheel thing
(different from a mouse scroll wheel) can be made to work, though I
never saw reason to use it.

I think the old story about Linux not being very laptop friendly is a
bit outdated.  I've known plenty of people who've had good success with
Linux and *BSD on laptops.

noah