Re: networking (offlist)

(now on-list)
On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:41:52PM -0400, Michael Cole wrote:
> Ok,  I am trying to get to the internet.  I have changed my network address
> to 192.168.0.0.  I sort of understand what you are saying about the address
> of the network was a host and I guess having it as the address of the
> gateway didn't help.  But I don't understand what you mean by the
> 192.168.x.x address not being routable.  I have already tried to reach the
> router/internet with this change in the network address and no luck.  Do I
> really need an address there?  I don't have NAT as far as I know, but I will
> look around.

I'd strongly suggest reading up on networking, e.g., Linux Netowrk
Administrator's Guide by Olaf Kirch, or other sources.  The topic is
not _that_ complicated, but there are terms and issues that make a lot
of sense with some study, and little sense without.  By virtue of what
you're trying to do, you _are_ a network administrator.

There are a few address ranges that are defined for local use, meaning
that routers should not forward them (i.e., not routable), and that
includes anything beginning with 192.168.  Valid Internet addresses are
unique; if you connect to an ISP via dialup (or cable, I suppose), you'll
be given a unique, valid address to which other machines can reply. You
can setup a Linux box making such a connection to do NAT for other machines
on your local, private network, so that they can access the Internet; outgoing
packets get the NATer's address, and incoming ones are unNATed so that they
get back to the originating host.

Your gateway may be such a machine connecting to an ISP (etc.), or it must
have some other (e.g., permanent) connection to the Internet (or to another
gateway that does).  It'll have an address on the local network, and that's
what your routing tables must identify.  Your local host uses the netmask
to see if a given destination address is on the local network; if not, the
packet is directed to the gateway for routing.

Beyond that I'm not sure of what you need.  Good luck!

Ken