networking

I am using linux 2.2.19-20010521 on a IIci and am trying to have it
recognize my router so that I can start to upload the software to
complete the system.  I am using this version because the earlier
versions would not acknowledge my ethernet card.  This one seems to but
I have set up the network but I can't get it to ping the router or any
of the other computers (Mac PPC and a Windoze) that are also connected
to the router.  I have followed the HOW-TO's for networking etc.
/etc/network/interfaces is as follows:
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
        address    192.168.0.3
        netmask    255.255.255.0
        network    192.168.0.1
        broadcast    192.168.0.255
        gateway       192.168.0.1

I followed the route commands that were in the How-To
ie route add -net 192.168.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0

and these things seem to work they reshowed when route was reentered.

What do I need to read now?  I would like to be able to use my cable
modem which is connected to the router and is accessible to the other
two computers on this network.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Michael Cole
begin:vcard
n:Cole;Michael
tel;pager:757 475-3182
tel;home:757 548-0746
tel;work:757 548-0746
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;525 Fernwood Farms Road;Chesapeake;Virginia;23320;
version:2.1
email;internet:mcole@erols.com
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Michael Cole