Re: Soundblaster 16

Hi,

There are a couple of things you could look out for to check
whether sound is working. As root, run:

  # cat /dev/sndstat

It should say something like:

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.13) (DUPLEX)

If that works, look for a .au file on your machine (eg by using
locate .au), and run:

  # cat foo.au > /dev/audio

You should hear a sound here :)

Getting sound to work in Debian is definitely more tricky
than doing so in Suse or Redhat. If you've still got your
Suse partition, try looking for the sb kernel modules options
in /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf, and use those
values in Debian. That's what I did. The settings I used
are:

  options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330

If you have the sb kernel module (eg from kernel-image-2.2.19),
you shouldn't have to recompile your kernel just as yet.

As for MP3/CD players, I use xmms. To get xmms to work with
the sb kernel module, you'd need to change your preferences
to use the libOSS output plugin instead of the Esound one.

Hope that helps.

-hoeteck