Re: Cups, or magicfilter . HP Deskjet 540

DvB <dvanbalen@jam.rr.com> writes:

> Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > Joel Mayes wrote:
> > However, the cupsomatic-ppd package _does_ have a bunch of ppd
> > files (913 in the version on woody), but it is distributed by
> > www.linuxprinting.org and not by www.cups.org.
> > --
> > Now, with projects such as CUPS and
> >  http://lpr.sourceforge.net/  (GNUlpr)
> >  http://sourceforge.net/foundry/printing
> >  http://hp.sourceforge.net/
> >  http://hp.sourceforge.net/uhowto/eps-uhowto.php  (Enhanced Printing System)
> > I'm left wondering how all the pieces fit together.  It's all
> > very confusing to me.
> > Peter
> >

> HP's sourceforge page says something about recompiling ghostscript
> with the hpdj driver included, which sounds like a real hassle to
> me. Mandrake (and other distros), however, already includes HP's
> driver with their distribution and I had no problems getting my HP
> DeskJet 932C working with LM8.0 and CUPS... It's all a matter of the
> driver getting bundled with Debian's cups/gs/whatever package. Are
> there any plans for doing this?

Actually, I've had no problems building gs and hpijs.  Of course hpijs
isn't debianized, and goes into /usr/local, but that's no problem.
Got my DeskJet 957c working almost perfectly.  (No duplexer..)  I'm
using lprng though, not CUPS.

I have a HOWTO written up if anyone's interested.

Marshal